Want to supercharge your yoga practice? You can capture the interest of old and new students while boosting the effectiveness of your yoga classes by adding one simple tool: singing bowls! Tibetan/Himalayan or quartz crystal bowls bring the healing power of sound and vibration to a yoga practice and help you stand out in the ocean of other practitioners out there.
Singing Bowls and Yoga are the Perfect Pairing
Bowls and yoga strive for the same goals: a rich mind/body/spirit experience. Singing bowls are a scientifically-based calming tool for the mind proven to produce frequencies that easily change beta brainwaves into the alpha/theta meditative state (through a process called “entrainment”). In addition, since the body is primarily water, vibrations produced from the bowls can travel through the physical form to relax into muscles, bones and organs. Every yogi knows that with a calm mind and relaxed body, you have the perfect container to access something deeper: spirit, voice of True Self, intuition, wisdom.
When you add singing bowls to your practice, your students can receive your yoga instruction on a deeper level, increasing their ability to move through weakness, fatigue, pain, mind-chatter and emotional tension.
Unique Ways to Add Bowls to a Yoga Practice
Singing bowls can be seamlessly integrated into every aspect of your yoga practice from start to finish. You’ll find that bowls inspire flow and create a unique, memorable element to your class. Singing bowls blend with all yoga modalities and styles and let you decide how to integrate them into a practice…a lot or a little. Try these ideas:
- Instructors can experience their own yoga practice in new ways. Invert a bowl on the head to help clear and balance the brain before class begins. Place a singing bowl in the palm to ignite the palm chakras or hold it on the fingertips to energize mudras.
- Walking the bowl around the class will produce soothing sounds to clear the space and create vibration to raise the resonance within each person.
- OM, chant, recite mantra or tone a chakra with a singing bowl. Combining voice in concert with the tones from the bowl offers extra internal vibration for mind and body while grounding students into the present moment.
- Float the bowl close to bodies that are holding a pose to dissolve blockages, move energy and offer each participant a personal experience with the sound and vibration.
- Playing a bowl during savasana can actually improve health and wellbeing. Physiologically, bowls initiate detoxification and the relaxation response in the body to help it heal itself. In addition, bowls can restore healthy harmonic patterns in the body and encourage healing on a cellular level.
A Versatile Tool for Transformation
The singing bowls are precious and powerful tools to be used BY you and THROUGH you. How remarkable that you will enjoy using them as much as your students will enjoy receiving them. Bringing joy, restoration and transformation into the world is the purpose of singing bowls. They are here to help the human condition. In your skilled hands, combined with your unique yoga practice, the singing bowls will amplify your healing intentions for helping your students.
Photos courtesy of Ann Martin.